Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Homemade Seitan Hot Dogs


As a kid, my number one favorite meal was Kraft macaroni and cheese with a cut up hot dog mixed in. I'd like to think my taste buds have grown up along with my developing a preference for food made from things that exist in nature. Truthfully, there is something about those nitrate-laden processed meat tubes that I still long for when grill season rolls around.

Fortunately, there is very little about proper hot dogs that resembles animal flesh, so replicating them as a vegetarian turns out to be quite easy. There are plenty of packaged veggie dog products out there (Lightlife and Tofurky make them), but the store brand veggie dogs often seem nearly as processed as regular hot dogs, just without the meat. So I set out to make my own.

In my search, I discovered that carrot hot dogs are currently a thing. That's a bit much to fathom, even for carrot-loving me. Anyone tried it?

Then I came across recipes for using vital wheat gluten to make a seitan hot dog. I'd purchased, eaten and enjoyed seitan products before (especially those from Upton's Naturals), but had never considered making my own. Mostly because I didn't really know how to make seitan or how to cook with vital wheat gluten.


Vital wheat gluten might be tricky to find in some grocery stores, but it's sold in natural foods stores (I bought Bob's Red Mill brand at Whole Foods) alongside the baking flours. Although technically not a flour itself, vital wheat gluten is made from the protein found in the endosperm of the wheat berry, which is very high in protein. Sorry gluten-free folks...seitan is your enemy. It's like a super flour with a lot of protein and very little starch. When mixed with water, it expands and becomes highly elastic. Plain seitan has a neutral flavor and a slightly rubbery texture, but it takes on the flavor of whatever spices you enhance it with and can be manipulated pretty easily to become chewy without being rubbery.

Vital wheat gluten was surprisingly easy to work with. I feared my hot dogs would fall apart on the grill or, worse yet, be incredibly mushy. Instead, the elasticity of the gluten meant it was no trouble to shape the seitan loaf into tubes and steam them. And I think they tasted pretty darn good.

Here's the recipe!




Seitan Hot Dogs
Adapted from recipes by Susan Voisin and Annie Oliverio 
Vegan. Definitely NOT gluten free.

Ingredients
  • 1/2 medium onion, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • 3/4 cup pinto beans, drained
  • 1/2 cup water or vegetable stock
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  • 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1 teaspoon ground mustard
  • 1/4 teaspoon smoked salt*
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon liquid smoke*
  • 1 cup vital wheat gluten
  • 1/3 cup rolled oats
  • 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
  • 1 tablespoon flax meal
Cooking Directions
  1. Heat a small-non stick skillet. Pulse onion and garlic in food processor until finely chopped, then add to skillet and cook until onion is soft, about 3-4 minutes. Transfer mixture back to food processor.
  2. Add pinto beans, water, soy sauce, tomato paste, paprika, coriander, mustard, salt, pepper, and liquid smoke to food processor. Process until you have a smooth, thin paste.
  3. Combine gluten, oatmeal, yeast, and flax in a large mixing bowl. Pour in the contents of the food processor and stir until combined. If the mixture seems too dry, you can add water by the tablespoon. Knead until a heavy gluten "dough" forms.
  4. Place a steamer in a pot of water and bring water to a boil. Cut 8 6-inch pieces of foil. Divide gluten dough into 8 pieces. Roll a piece of dough between your palms into a tube, then place it on a foil wrapper and roll securely, twisting the ends of the foil to close up. Once it's wrapped, you can roll it back and forth a few times on the counter top to make an even, cylindrical "hot dog" shape. Repeat with remaining dough to form 8 hot dogs.
  5. Place all dogs in the steamer, cover, and steam for 45 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool before unwrapping. Steamed dogs can be stored for a few days in a sealed container in the fridge. Throw them on the grill to heat up when you're ready to eat. Serve with all of the typical hot dog accoutrements.
*Both smoky ingredients are totally optional, but definitely help the dogs taste smoky and, for lack of better descriptor, hot doggy. I used Colgin liquid smoke, which can be found in the spice aisle.

Here are some less appetizing pictures of the "dough" and hot dog rolling process. I swear it tastes way better than it looks.



If you try it out, let me know what you think! Anyone else have favorite veggie dog recipes?

29 comments:

  1. I'm going for it - thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good reusable cartridge will last around 5 years, making it a genuinely prudent mode for separating pools and hot tubs. infltabale hot tub repair kits

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you write and share your niche! Very interesting and different! Keep it coming! Hot Tub Removal

    ReplyDelete
  4. Presently that you've studied the conduct brain science, do you start seeing a few similitudes between how we train dogs and how the administration trains us? On to the following tip.
    petsmart grooming

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey what a brilliant post I have come across and believe me I have been searching out for this similar kind of post for past a week and hardly came across this. Thank you very much and will look for more postings from you. Best Dog Shampoo For Allergy Sufferers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great article Lot's of information to Read...Great Man Keep Posting and update to People..Thanks jogging pet stroller

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. extra large pet bed

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. best dog crate for anxiety

    ReplyDelete
  9. I recently found many useful information in your website especially this blog page. Among the lots of comments on your articles. Thanks for sharing. personalized dog collars

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just couldn't leave your website before telling you that I truly enjoyed the top quality info you present to your visitors? Will be back again frequently to check up on new posts. best brush for golden retriever

    ReplyDelete
  11. Experts working for reputable service providers have expertise in fixing appliances of various brands and models. Sub Zero Refrigerator Repair Hollywood

    ReplyDelete
  12. I definitely enjoying every little bit of it. It is a great website and nice share. I want to thank you. Good job! You guys do a great blog, and have some great contents. Keep up the good work. how long does cat urine odor last

    ReplyDelete
  13. If you are looking for more information about flat rate locksmith Las Vegas check that right away. Read More

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is the kind of information I have been trying to find. Thank you for writing this information. It has proved utmost beneficial for me. Ointment for Dog Sores

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for a very interesting blog. What else may I get that kind of info written in such a perfect approach? I’ve a undertaking that I am simply now operating on, and I have been at the look out for such info. Click Here

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. Check it out

    ReplyDelete
  17. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting?I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style. Thanks a million and please keep up the effective work. Click Here

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here keep up the good work Learn more

    ReplyDelete
  19. You make so many great points here that I read your article a couple of times. Your views are in accordance with my own for the most part. This is great content for your readers. Check it out

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have read all the comments and suggestions posted by the visitors for this article are very fine,We will wait for your next article so only.Thanks! What to Feed a Dog with No Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the way you write and share your niche! Very interesting and different! Keep it coming! dummyweste

    ReplyDelete
  22. An environmentally friendly and recyclable paving product that provides many benefits for driveway, road, and parking area applications. With its upfront cost savings, it is by far the more popular choice for parking situations and driveway paving construction. paving companles

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have read all the comments and suggestions posted by the visitors for this article are very fine,We will wait for your next article so only.Thanks! what is cat spraying no more

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great post, and great website. Thanks for the information! allaboutgsd.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for the blog loaded with so many information. Stopping by your blog helped me to get what I was looking for. Dog brain Training

    ReplyDelete
  26. I wanted to leave a little comment to support you and wish you a good continuation. Wishing you the best of luck for all your blogging efforts. best water filter pitcher

    ReplyDelete
  27. The 'puppies for sale' information sheet should consist of puppy details like the breed, gender, color, vaccinations, D.O.B, the parent's breed of the puppies. Bernedoodle puppies for sale Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  28. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing abilities has inspired me to start my own Blog Engine blog now. Really the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a fine example of it. cbd canada

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...