Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Staying Warm on a Cold Winter Run

To celebrate Galentine's Day 2016, I asked my lady friends to join me in the "Run Your Heart Out 5K" in Watertown, Massachusetts. I thought it would be a fun, active way to celebrate my female friendships in the spirit of Leslie Knope.

On the eve of the race, the headline on CBS Boston read:
Hypothermia, Frostbite Possible During Dangerously Cold Weekend



Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency (MEMA) issued a warning advising that residents "minimize outside activities and watch for signs of frostbite and hypothermia".

I shuddered at the thought of stomping through Watertown on ice block feet with a burning throat and raw, stinging face. For once, I found myself hoping that a race would get cancelled.

Of course, runners are an awfully stubborn bunch. At 9:00 am, 150 of us huddled together outside Donohue's Bar and Grill to set off on a 3.1(ish) mile jaunt around town.
(I am quite amused by the other browser tabs open on the race director's desktop. And the fact that the so-called 5K race is clearly measured at 3.2 miles)

SO. How does one dress oneself for a sub zero run? Specifically, how does one dress oneself when one is trying to run in sub zero temperatures at a reasonably fast pace?

For me, it comes down to choosing thin technical layers and taking care of my extremities. For this race, I wore:


Sports bra (duh)
Compression running tights (my go-to pair from Brooks or these Under Armour tights)
Fitted, midweight synthetic shirt (I am in love with my New Balance heat pullover hoodie, which has both chin-covering neck and a hood with ponytail hole.)
Smartwool ear covering headband
Knee-high compression running socks
Serious lobster mittens with hand warmers inside
and, of course, favorite running shoes.

On a longer or evening run, I'd add a running shell and a wool cap


In the end, the race went by quickly and the the cold didn't feel so bad after all. We grinned for a post-race picture.


And took home some age group awards!



And then, of course, we ate a bunch of pancakes.

1 comment:

  1. here are various types of sports which can be polished by individuals nowadays. Various individuals incline toward various types of sports. Some favor football while others incline toward hockey. Then again, a few people lean toward running over different games. You have to pick the sort of sports where you are generally intrigued, for more information visit here calcetines running técnicos.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...